Links to the right point to the first name on each of 8 pages.
This is an index to a book published in 1987 by the Clark County Genealogical Society in Vancouver, Washington. Connie Lenzen compiled facts on over 2000 interments. Each entry in the book may include the name of the deceased, death date and place, birth date and place, age, cause of death, relatives, comments, parish, and sources. The every-name index contains over 4300 names. The book also includes a history of the cemetery, its deterioration, and eventual relocation.
Copies of the book are at the GFO library [979.5 M961 Cem].
St. Mary's Cemetery, founded in 1858, was the pioneer Roman Catholic cemetery in Portland, Oregon. It was located on S.E. Stark Street, between 24th and 26th Avenues.
Seventy-one years after the first burial, the cemetery was closed. The Archdiocese published invitations to family members to transfer the remains of their family members to Mt. Calvary Cemetery in Portland's west hills. Eventually, the "left-over" remains were transferred to the St. Mary's section of Mt. Calvary cemetery.
The residents of St. Mary's Cemetery were some of Portland's early pioneers. There were Indian War veterans, saloon keepers, riverboat captains, laborers, capitalists, etc. These people helped build Portland.
If there were sexton records of the interments, they have not been located.
Church registers, vital records, history books, wills, obituaries, and oral traditions were some of the sources used to identify the people who were laid to rest in St. Mary's Cemetery. Over 2,000 interments were located.
This list contains the names of the people who were buried in the cemetery. It includes names of parents when they were listed in the church books. It contains the name of a spouse or children if they were listed in obituaries. Altogether, there are 4,322 names.
Index contributed by Connie Lenzen, CG